Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Letters That Won't Be Delivered

Where to begin? I guess first I'd like to write that this blog entry isn't really for anyone except myself. These are thoughts that have been going through my head and sometimes I think best when I see my thoughts written down.

Today is supposed to be a monumental occasion due to the inauguration of our new president. Now, I have not kept it secret that I did not vote for Obama or that I was extremely disappointed about his election. Not much has changed in that area; I'd much rather have a different president. I'm not a "strictly Republican girl" and I'm not a radical that believes Obama is the Antichrist, either. I'm just a girl who wants some proof - proof that America's faith was put into the right person.

So, if I were to actually write out my feelings to the people I've been thinking about, this is roughly how it would go.

Dear President Obama,
I will be praying for you, as you become our new president, that you will make wise decisions for our country and lead us into peaceful times. I may not agree with all that you do, but I will do my best to support you. You have a lot of pressure on you as our first African-American president and I hope that you are up for the challenge. I pray that you will not always be known as our "First Black President," but that you will one day be known as a man who did great things. Your genetics are not of your control, but your actions are. Please don't try to be "a savior," but be satisfied being a righteous man. I pray that you not only seek counsel from your peers, but from The Counsellor, as He will guide you without fail.

Dear President Bush,
As you leave your term as president, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude for all you have done. No one can understand the stress you have gone through as you have deliberated our country's path. You gave up your privacy, your personal life, and your pride to become a servant to the people - and with little thanks given for it. You had many challenges brought to you during your terms and you rose to each occasion rather than shying away. I thank you for making decisions I may not have been able to make, had I been in your position. Thank you for your loyalty and faith in us as a country.

Dear Troops,
Although today everyone is focused on the inauguration of our newest president and the departure of our last president, I would like to focus on you for a minute. It is imperative to our country to have a strong leader; however it is not that leader that makes our country strong. It is men and women, like yourselves, that make this country what it is and worthy of being known as a superpower. Our president is one person reflecting the needs of our country. You are the answer to those needs. Without your courage, selflessness, and honor, we would surely fall. Thank you for all that you do, for all that you've given up, and for the wonderful heroes you are.

So today I am committing myself to my president in the hopes that he will prove my doubts wrong and be a wonderful leader. I don't know him as a person, only the stances he has taken, and some of those are very different from my own. He may be a nice man, but he has some ideas that need to change. I know that there have been many people who have gone from being horrible human beings to very Christ-centered people. With prayer, perhaps Obama will also reconsider his ideas and be led onto a different path.



No comments: