Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sprinters Have Nothing on Pregnant Women Headed for the Bathroom!

First thing's first: Seth is doing well. We had our 36 week appointment yesterday where the doctor and ultrasound tech said he is right on target in size. The tech said he is still in the head-down position and his heartrate is strong. She also said that he looks like he only has a little bit of hair, which is the opposite of what she said a few weeks ago, where she pointed out "all that hair." Either way, I'm not going to assume that an ultrasound can detect hair all that well and we'll just expect the amount as a surprise. We did get to witness Seth practice his breathing for a few seconds, which shows up basically as his ribs moving up and down. It's such a weird and amazing concept that there is a human in there getting ready for life in the outside world.

Outside of the visit, but still on the topic of Seth, things are good. He is still keeping pretty calm, although it does seem like he's trying to do some remodeling to his temporary home by pushing as far out as he can. I've tried to reassure him that it's not necessary, but he doesn't listen to reason yet - so I do what I can and gently push back. He eventually takes the hint, gives up, and I assume, goes back to sleep.

I always enjoy the days of my doctor visits, not because of the inevitable hour-long wait to see the doctor with a lack of any decent magazines, but because it gives me the reassurance that my boy is doing well. However, yesterday was a great day for another reason. Michael opted to take an extra week of support calls at work (which makes for very interrupted evenings, nights, and weekends) so that he can take a day off of work and - get this - spend it doing things I want to do!

It began with him going to my appointment with me and keeping me company. After the hour and a half wait/visit, we went to Olive Garden for lunch. Now I know this doesn't seem all that special - we used to go out to eat weekly - but to a woman who has been living on Raisin Bran for the last several weeks, it is a HUGE deal! I knew I would regret it before I even ordered, but I knew it would be worth it, so I went all out. I got pop (with a refill!), a big salad, several breadsticks, and cheese ravioli! Yeah, I was in pain for most of the day and night, but I wouldn't do it any differently. Yum!

So after that, we went to Target to get Michael's dad's birthday present. I know that sounds dull and not worth mentioning, but I've been harrassing Michael about suggestions for his dad for well over a month and it has been eating away at me that we hadn't decided on anything yet. Now that's one thing off my mind.

Finally, we went to Zuma Fun Center. Being as it was a Tuesday, it was nearly empty and we didn't have to wait for anything. We played two rounds of miniature golf (we each won one, although he totally kicked my butt) and several arcade games. It was a lot of fun, except for two things: pregnancy really does make you tire out more quickly, especially when it's warm and when you're near the end of things you really ought to choose your clothing wisely. I had chosen a pair of maternity shorts that have never actually fit well and like to fall off with every couple of steps. Now I know that in some fashions, the whole pants-drooping-off-your-behind is cool, but it makes playing miniature golf (and really anything else) annoying. So I eventually threw in the towel and asked to go home.

The rest of the evening was quiet: I relaxed with my feet propped up and we watched the classic and very cheesy horror movie "Witchboard." We then read a bit, spent quite a bit of time talking about how much our lives are going to change in just a few more weeks, and then went to sleep early.

Although the day wasn't spent at fancy places and we didn't try new and daring things, it was a day that was memorable. I know Michael had to pull some strings to get this day with me and I know he would have done some things differently if it had been up to him. The point of it all is that he actually planned ahead (not a typical Michael thing) and made a day that would be fun for me. Pretty soon our roles are going to be changing and we're not going to be just a husband and wife, but a father and mother. It's reassuring to know that he is still thinking of me, not just as this "mother" figure, but still as the girl he fell for over three years ago: his friend and a girl he still wants to impress. He'll be a great daddy, but I don't see it changing what a great husband he is.

No comments: