Sunday, September 21, 2008

Seth's 0th birthday bash!


(Please note that all spelling and grammatical errors were intentionally included as evidence of our exhaustion)

Friday, Sept. 19th, 12:30pm -
Kristin and I are at a baby shower being held in our honor by my coworkers. There is abundant pizza, gifts, and nerdy jokes (I provided most of these).
Several people ask when our child is due, and I answer Oct. 11th, although technically we are full term so it could be any time soon. "Hopefully not
today though!" (laughter).

Friday, Sept. 19th, 6:15pm -
Having completed my day at work I come home to Kristin who is busily cooking dinner and doing general housework. While picking up some clutter she gasps and runs to the restroom. A few minutes later I hear her timidly call me. "Honey," she says, "either I just had a really embarrasing accident or my water broke!"


Friday, Sept. 19th, 9:00pm -
At UT Hospital the doctor has determined that Kristin's water has broken. We are moved to a delivery room where we are told to expect about 12-14 hours of steadily increasing contractions as Kristin dialates and Seth is prepared to be born.

Friday, Sept. 19th, 11:30pm -
Kristin's contractions have rapidly set in and she is in a lot of pain. She is becoming very discouraged because she does not want another 12 or so hours of this. She finally breaks down enough to call for an epidural.

Saturday, Sept. 20th, 2:00am -
The anesthesioligist has finally gotten a break from several emergency calls and is able to administer Kristin's epidural. She is in extreme pain and has been rocking on the bed desperate for some relief. Unfortunately the epidural proves to be a difficult one and is finally completed after about 30 minutes and 5-6 tries. However it proves to be worth the trouble as after 15 or so minutes Kristin is feeling better and the nurse is able to check how far along she is. The nurse is shocked to find that she is already at 10cm and ready to give birth.

Saturday, Sept. 20th, 3:00am -
Kristin has begun pushing and Seth has made fast progress, and is already crowning. The whole birthing crew is called in and the real show begins, lights descend from the ceiling, Kristin's bed transforms from beneath her into some kind of genius labor platform, and the doctor is in the catching position. Seth's head is slowly pushing through, and the doctor decides we need an episiotimy. After the cut, Seth bursts free in one giant wave of water! It is 3:21 am, and he is born crying in a raspy voice. Kristin exclaims that he sounds like Donald Duck, which elicits a laugh from our attending nurses and doctor. They weigh Seth at 8lbs, 5oz, and measuring 20.5 inches.

Sunday, Sept. 21st, 8:25pm -
Seth is aproaching 2 days old, and Kristin and I combined have gotten maybe five hours of sleep. Our kid is sleepy, and it can be difficult getting him to eat. Because of this we are a little nervous about heading home tomorrow morning, but we know that God will help us get through this difficult period. Personally I expect that within a day or two he will get past this 'sleepy phase' and begin eating and pooping too fast for us to keep up. We're extremely happy, we're extremely tired, and are looking forward to going home to begin life as a new family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of Kristin and Seth. You need one of Michael and Seth on here too. Seth is an absolute, adorable baby!!!! I loved being able to hold him and watching him as he slept. Congratulations Michael and Kristin and Happy 0 birthday Seth

Mama