Friday, August 29, 2008

A glimpse into my mind (it's dark in here).

When Kristin created this blog, I secretly made a commitment to myself that I would use it. In my own head I'm a pretty interesting person, but when it comes to writing down these thoughts my unique and creative musings tend to lose the awesome voice they have in my mind, at least until I build some momentum. Once I actually get started I can churn out several pages of work in one sitting, an ability which greatly facilitated the procrastination of many school writing assignments until the very eve of their due dates. Nevertheless, I always made great grades on those assignments, it's merely that act of starting that holds me back. I just gotta have the inertia.

The Tennessee State Fair begins next week, and as I was looking over their event schedule I discovered that they have demolition derbies. These events have always held a special place in my heart, and I plan on sneaking out and attending one. This is pretty high on my 'awesome things to do' list, closely following 'being in a demolition derby'. The latter goal will take some time and planning, and that is why I started a secret savings account for my future mid-life crisis (shh, don't tell Kristin). I'm pretty sure I will be able to talk her into it, I plan to make her choose between that or letting me get a motorcycle so dangerous that no insurance companies will cover me. I imagine some kind of jet-bike, possibly hovering, powered by an unstable nuclear reactor. It will literally leave a trail of fire when I gun it.

Seth will arrive soon, and I am very excited. I don't know if it makes sense, but I already love the kid. All I know of him are a couple of strong kicks from within my wife's abdomen, but I really can't wait to have him here in the outside world with me. I'm eager to see what sort of physical features he inherits from us, and I'm eager to see him grow into his own person, and I'm eager to teach him all sorts of things; about God, wisdom, life, people, music, science... Yeah, I'm already becoming one of those guys that thinks he's going to give his son all the things he wanted but never had, or the opportunities he never had (not that I was lacking on those, I was very blessed and well cared for in my youth). Basically, I'm overjoyed about the whole thing, and I want to be great at it.

Well, I'll stop here. I'm sure my blog posts will be much more abstract than my wife's, but I also hope that they will be enjoyable. I'll leave you with my 'list of awesome things to do'.

Awesome Things To Do:
  1. Be a father! (see, I'm starting at the top)
  2. Play a guitar solo so awesome that it actually causes someone's face to melt.
  3. Wrestle a bear to the death, and win.
  4. Purchase a hovering jet-bike.
  5. Learn kung-fu.
  6. Rescue children from a burning orphanage.
  7. Execute a barrel roll in a car that cleverly removes a bomb attached to the underside by bringing it into contact with a giant crane hook conveniently hanging nearby (go see 'The Transporter 2' for more details).
  8. Compete in a demolition derby.
  9. Attend a demolition derby.
  10. Crush a car with a monster truck (blasting Lynyd Skynyd on the stereo optional).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael, I just love your list of things to do. I don't know if I'd ever have the courage to do some of those things you have listed, but they do sound exciting.

The countdown is here, and I know you and Kristin are getting anxious and excited. (me too!) Just a few short weeks and you'll be holding your precious son. I'm so glad I'll be there to see you and Kristin and Seth on the day he is born.

Thank you for all your help last week. It really was greatly appreciated. I'm a lucky Mother as well as a lucky mother in law in having you as a son and Kristin as my daughter.

I love you both!!

Teresa