Sunday, July 19, 2009

Here I Go A-Pondering...

Well, I've changed my mind about not blogging. My main forums of keeping in touch with friends and family have been through Myspace and Facebook. However, Michael seems to think that those sites are the primary causes of computer viruses, so I'm trying to avoid them...well, Myspace, at least. So I guess that means that I'll have to keep our blog up for an extra means of communication.

Today's post isn't about any one thing in particular. It's more or less a summary of the past few weeks' thoughts and moments.

To begin with, the church we've been attending, Sevier Heights, had a special guest speaker today - you guessed it, Kirk Cameron! I thought that was pretty cool myself. He conducted a marriage seminar at the church yesterday, but Michael and I weren't able to go. So you can imagine my surprise when he was the guest speaker this morning. He had some pretty insightful points, some of which really applied to myself and my life. He discussed marriage, witnessing, and being PC in today's world.

One of the things he mentioned that stood out in my mind was when people say, "I was xx old when I found God." Kirk quoted that we don't find God, that God finds us. Well, I understand what he was trying to say, but I prefer to think of it in a different way. We don't find God and God doesn't find us. To say that God finds us implies that He didn't know us or wasn't watching out for us for a time. And as we all know, we are always in God's sight and He is always watching and always waiting for us. He knows every hair on our head and knows every thought in our mind. I think a more accurate statement isn't that we found God or that God found us, but that we finally answered His call. He's been pleading for our hearts from the time we were born; it was our own ignorance, our own stubborness, our own pridefulness that kept us from hearing his knock.

Kirk also talked about being PC in today's society. I try to be sensitive to people's feelings and use correct terminology. And I definitely don't want to seem like I'm pushing my beliefs on anyone. When views are pushed on someone, it seems to drive them away. I prefer discussions as a way of witnessing. Unfortunately, I'm very ignorant to Biblical history and theology in general, through no fault but my own. I really need to study and sink my heart into the Word. But I also feel that God speaks to you every day and you can learn so much through that.

One point in particular that has become a recent discussion for me is homosexuality. Now this is not a political forum, so I'll keep it short. I have several friends and family members who identify as being gay. From a Christian standpoint, I naturally disagree with the lifestyle in the same way that I disagree with other sinful lifestyles. However, the point I want to make is that I refuse to judge these people. In God's eyes, sin is sin. Every sin is hurtful to Him and disregards the laws that He gave to us. I sin constantly, and if it weren't for God's forgiving nature and His Son's sacrifice, I would be headed towards the worst future. Thankfully I was raised in a Christian-oriented environment and was able to hear the Good News growing up. I've been forgiven, just as we all will be if we just humble ourselves enough to ask for it.

I'm not perfect - I am, in fact, a sinner, in need of constant redirection. I am proud. I've chosen to stay in bed instead of worshiping my Lord (idolatry). I've worked on the Sabbath...many times. I've fought with my parents and I've hurt them. If hating is murder, I am a murderer, because I have hated in the past. Lies...I've told a lot of lies. And every time, every horrible time I did these things, I hurt my God, my Savior. How vain would I be if I thought that the sins of a non-believer, who does not know God's Word and Law, were worse than mine, a Christian, who knows the Law and decidedly breaks them time and time again? Truly, I am below them and have no right to judge. And finally, one last thought of mine. There has been argument about whether or not individuals who consider themselves gay should be allowed to join a church. This is a tricky question. The point I'd like to make is that we don't screen potential members to see if they're adulterers, alcoholics, pornography addicts, thieves, liars, blasphemers, gamblers, abusers, or any other sinful type of person. If we did, I'm fairly certain the sanctuaries would be empty, because again, we're all sinners. The difference in this situation is that homosexual church members may not hide their sins like the rest of us. Their sin is fairly obvious, if they choose it to be. Now I don't know if this lifestyle is chosen or ingrained in their psyche. Most Christians seem to believe that it's chosen, and if that is true, what better place is there for love and support to make spiritual decisions than within the church? I don't know, I guess I'm rambling, but this is something I've been thinking about lately. I know the people who read this blog will probably disagree with most of what I have to say, but it's how I feel, and I'm thankful that God has given me the gifts of sympathy and empathy. I'm also so thankful that He reminds me of the woman He wants me to be, nay, expects me to be, and that He tells me to keep raising the bar for myself. I can always be better and He knows it. I just need to believe it and keep striving for that.

On a side note, there will be an update on Seth soon. He's changing so much!

No comments: